LONDON: World Rugby and four British rugby governing bodies have failed in an attempt to stop concussion-related lawsuits brought by hundreds of former rugby players, after the London High Court ruled that the cases can continue.
The legal battle involves former professional and amateur players who claim that repeated blows to the head during their rugby careers caused serious long-term neurological conditions.
Rugby Concussion Lawsuits Continue After High Court Ruling
The wider litigation involves almost 800 former rugby union players, including England’s 2003 World Cup winners Steve Thompson and Phil Vickery. More than 300 former rugby league players are also pursuing separate legal action.
The governing bodies had asked the court to end the cases involving more than 500 former players across rugby union and rugby league.
They argued that the players’ previous lawyers had repeatedly failed to provide important medical records and other documents required for the proceedings.
However, lawyers representing the former players argued that most of the requested documentation had already been supplied and stressed that the case has wider implications for contact sports and player safety in the UK.
Judge Jeremy Cook ruled in writing that the cases could proceed, subject to the production of outstanding documents. He also said the individual claimants were “blameless” in relation to the documentation problems.
Former Players Claim Long-Term Neurological Damage
The former players allege that repeated concussions and sub-concussive impacts during their playing careers left them with serious neurological conditions.
They claim the rugby governing bodies failed to adequately protect players from the potential long-term consequences of repeated head injuries and breached their duty of care.
The governing bodies dispute those allegations. They argue that there was no duty of care extending to the long-term risk of serious neurological conditions in the way claimed by the former players.
World Rugby has also argued in its written defence that injuries are an inherent risk of rugby.
The litigation began in 2022 but has faced repeated delays, particularly over the disclosure of medical records and other evidence. Similar delays have affected the separate legal action brought by former rugby league players.
Following Friday’s ruling, World Rugby, the Rugby Football Union and the Welsh Rugby Union said they hoped the litigation could now progress in the best interests of both the players and the sport.
The claimants’ new legal representatives, KP Law, described the decision as a significant step for the former players and said they remained committed to holding the defendants accountable.
The ruling does not determine whether the governing bodies are ultimately liable for the players’ injuries. Instead, it allows the rugby concussion lawsuits to move forward, potentially leading to further examination of how head injuries were handled in the sport and what responsibilities governing bodies had toward players.